A sad feature is that it is more identified with non Christian systems of thought rather than biblical Christianity. E.g. Yoga, transcendental meditation, relaxation therapy or new age movement.
We must remember that meditation is both commanded by God and modelled by the Godly in the scriptures. Joshua 1v8 and Psalm 1: 1-3 The kind of meditation encouraged in the bible differs from other kinds of meditation in several ways;
While some advocate a kind of meditation in which you empty your mind, Christian meditation involves filling your mind with God and truth.
For some meditation is an attempt to achieve complete mental passivity. (Serenity and peace) Biblical meditation requires constructive mental activity.
DEFINITION: Deep thinking on the truths and spiritual realities revealed in scripture for the purpose of understanding, application, and prayer.
Analogy – a tea bag placed inside a cup of water.
Guidelines for Application.
1. Select an appropriate passage (s). DO NOT RUSH: always read in context and make sure you read sufficient of the passage to enable you to get the most out of this time.
John 11:25 WRITE IT OUT “I am the resurrection and the life” “I am” --------------
(i) Moses said to God “who are you?” God said “I am”
(ii) “I am” all sufficient ---- song springs to mind ---- sing it through.
Resurrection: ---- He died and rose again! Death / Life / Old Self / New Life/ Buried /Alive'
2. How am I to respond this text?
3. Is there anything I can do as a result of reading / meditating on this :-- tell someone “I am alive”
4. Write a prayer out; ---------------Lord thank you that you are “I am the all sufficient one”, thank you that you died and rose again. Thank you Lord I have new life in you.
5. A useful tool / items of equipment; note book, pen, music to listen to.
6. When using a note book or paper it may help to set up as follows. Passage. Positive thoughts negative thoughts Cross reference biblically concerning the above thoughts.
A selection of passages to meditate on.
Galatians 2: 20.
John 15: 7
Psalm 1: 1-3
Gospels Luke 22, Great Commission Gospels Matthew 28